This is a recipe I can do with my eyes closed. This comes from my Mom actually! She used to make this for potlucks and parties and it was always a super big hit! I don’t have this recipe written down anywhere because Its embedded into my brain and its almost a family tradition… a secret recipe if you may! But today is your lucky day – I am about to grace the world with this recipe!!
There is a disclaimer to this Taco Salad…. which is… it is not a Salad!
It is more like a chunky dip. Really its everything you’d put into a Taco but with a cream cheese/sour cream base and you spoon it onto a big fat tortilla chip! I am not sure why my mom calls this a Taco Salad…but it doesn’t really matter because this is one of those things you can’t stop eating and could care less what it is called… it’s Just. THAT. Good!!
Here is what you need:
- 1 8oz package cream cheese
- 1/2 container sour cream
- 1 package of Taco seasoning
- 1 package of Extra lean ground beef
- 1 jar of Salsa (I used Hot and Chunky)
- 1 Large Green Pepper diced
- 1/2 large white onion diced
- 1 cup diced tomatoes (whatever you have – i used Cherry Tomatoes in this round)
- 1 cup shredded Romaine Lettuce
- 1 – 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheese (I used the Tex Mex mix from Crackle Barrel)
- 2 bags of Tortilla Chips
- 9 by 13 glass pan
- Use light or fat free sour cream and cream cheese if you want this more waist line friendly
- Use ground chicken or turkey instead of beef! You really can’t taste the difference and it is way more lean and healthier
- Make your own Taco Seasoning if you don’t have any packets left!
- Add whatever you want for veggies. Add Avocado or black beans or corn if you will! Red Onions are good instead of white, Tomatoes can be whatever you have on hand
- Make a guacamole and add it into this as a layer
- Add Avocado to your cream cheese and sour cream mixture for a different flavour or add taco seasoning or use Jalapeno cream cheese or lime juice – if you want some added flavours!
- Jalapenos!!! fresh or pickled are delicious in here too!
- Iceberg lettuce is a fine replacement for Romaine as well
What to do:
- Start by cooking your ground beef and seasoning it – you will want this slightly cooled when you add it to the pan
- mix your sour cream and cream cheese until combined – spread this on the bottom of your glass pan. this is the first layer – place in fridge until meat is cooler
- Once meat is cooled add the meat as layer 2
- salsa will go on top of the meat
- next would be your veggies – Tomatoes, Onions and Green pepper
- next is your layer of Lettuce
- and lastly is your Cheese layer
- Cover and let sit in the fridge an hour or more before serving 🙂 * the longer it sits the more things come together as one
Serve with Tortilla chips… scoops are okay but my suggestion is getting the Family style Lime, corn or Jalapeno ones!! I used the Black bean and Garlic ones too – so yummy!
Below is the printable version for you to Keep!