Hello my fellow food friends!
Hope everyone is having a great week!I have been having some crappy luck since I became unemployed a month and half ago! I however have become a full-time couch connoisseur! I got myself into, caught up and addicted to Shameless, and my new iPad game I can’t stop playing. HAHA! I would love to say I was full time food blogging and such but I am down a computer and the $$ to spend on delicious ingredients. Been cutting my grocery budget back. (Insert Sad Face here)
However I am hanging out at the besties house jammin to some tunes and applying for jobs and food blogging on her sweet sweet Mac! so with that being said… here i am with a new recipe for you!!And this one is a cheap, quick, easy recipe that you can modify any way you want!!
On Sunday my sister and my best friend came for dinner, it was going to be a late dinner so I wanted something filling but not crazy large and over powering for a late night meal. So I decided that Stromboli and Caesar salad would be a great idea! If you haven’t had Stromboli before it’s basically pizza rolled into a loaf and baked. Its delicious is what it is!A traditional Stromboli is made with ham, salami, cheese and herbs that is baked to golden brown and dipped in marinara sauce. I decided to change it up a little bit….
Here is what you need:
- Pizza dough (if you’re a keener make it… if not Pillsbury has a great pizza crust that works great for this recipe…. which is what i used this time)
- 1/2 cup Pizza sauce (again homemade or store-bought whatever you have)
- 1 1/2 cups Parmesan Cheese, 3 cheese blend (Parmesan, provolone, Asiago), Pizza mozzarella (or whatever cheese you have)
- 1/8 cup Fresh Basil & Parsley for inside and garnish
- 2 tbsp Melted butter for sealing and coating
- 20 pepperoni slices
- 8 slices of Spicy Salami
- 8 slices of Salami with prosciutto (found this at super store)
- 1 cup marinara sauce (or use the same pizza sauce)
- 2 tbsp flour for rolling out the dough (wont stick to your counter)
Here is what you do:
- preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- roll out your pizza dough (use flour so it doesn’t stick), you want to make sure you have an even layer of dough and it is thin, You want to make sure the inside cooks evenly
- before you begin layering your ingredients you want to leave about an inch on 3 of the 4 sides. this will be helpful come the rolling process!
- pizza sauce is next and then I did a layer of pepperoni, layer of cheese, layer of hot salami, layer of cheese, layer of salami with prosciutto, layer of cheese, sprinkle of herbs and a little more cheese!
- once your ingredients are in and layered, you can start rolling from the side that you layered to the edge… you should get about 3 rolls to the end.
- before sealing the end,brush your melted butter along those 3 clean edges and finish rolling to seal. The ends you want to tuck into the roll as you go.
- Transfer your roll seal side down to a non stick baking sheet
- use the rest of your melted butter to brush the top of your Stromboli, add more cheese and the remaining herbs
- cut slices into the top of the dough this will help cook the inside faster and its also is just sooooo pretty! * don’t go too deep… just want to pierce the dough!
- bake in the oven for about 45 minutes to an hour. You want a nice golden brown top and a cooked inside. *TIP – if you take it out and cut up and find your inside is still a little raw just stick it all back together and toss it back in for a few minutes… by cutting it you can toss it back in for 5 minutes and it should cook through no issue!
- Once ready – let rest for 5-10 minutes under some tin foil just so it will be easier to cut
- cut into slices and serve with homemade marinara sauce or pizza sauce for dipping!
Stromboli is typically served as an “appetizer” but if you add a side Caesar or something with it.. you have a meal for 4!(if you do as an appy – this should serve 8)
You can do any ingredients in a Stromboli… basically anything you would put on a pizza…. toss it into a Stromboli. It really is one of those anything goes recipes! But this version is a delicious mix of spicy and cheesy goodness.
We want to see your Stromboli ideas! Make sure you take a photo of your version of Stromboli and tag us @BitesbyBrittany on instagram or Facebook and you could be choosen for a regram and a prize sent to you …. from MEEE!!!
Who doesn’t want to win a PRIZE!!??!!!??? so submit those Photos!!
Enjoy my foodie Friends!
Until next time…