This is a side dish that is a play off a Mexican corn on cob. It’s layered with flavours and this one — she’s a Spicc-eh!!
- 2 cups frozen corn
- Mexican cheese (queso fresco) or cotija
- Cilantro (to taste) 1/4 cup
- Salt & pepper
- 1 tsp roasted garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 tbsp lime juice or half a lime
- 1 tbsp mayo
- 1 tbsp sour cream
- 1/8 tsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1/4 cup Chopped green onions
- Olive oil
- 3 Serrano peppers chopped
Now before I tell you how to make this. Fair warning 3 Serrano peppers is going to make this crazy spicy! So please only use one or a jalapeño and remember that the heat lives inside the seeds and the veins. So remove these as well if you don’t want it tooo spicy. The smaller the pepper. The hotter they are!
What to do:
- Use the olive oil in a sauté pan and grill your corn slightly. Just a little colour on them. Tip* you can use corn on the cob here as well.
- Add the roasted garlic to the corn as it cooks
- Turn the heat off and add in your chili powder, s&p, cumin, red and green onions and the peppers. Mix well and move to a bowl
- Add in your sour cream, mayo and lime juice and mix well
- Allow the corn mixture to cool in the fridge.
- Just before ready to serve Mix in your cheese and cilantro
This recipe is a perfect side dish for taco night or for a fun BBQ in the summer. It’s very light and delicious.
I made this super spicy and we ate it because it was so delicious but those serranos will sneak up on you so again follow my tip above for a less spicier go!