My Third and Final dish for Chinese Food night was Sweet & Spicy Chicken.
If you don’t like it spicy – its not over powering at all but you can always leave that ingredient out 🙂
What you need:
- 3 large chicken breasts cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup flour
- vegetable oil (enough to coat the bottom of the pan)
- 1 cup diced pineapple (canned or fresh whatever you have)
- 1 & 1/2 large red peppers cut into chunks
- 1 tbsp crushed red pepper flakes (leave this out if your not into hot) + some for garnish
- 1/2 cup chopped white onion
- sesame seeds for garnish
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 gloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 brown sugar
- 1 tbsp pineapple juice
(drain juice from can or use fresh from when you cut it up)
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 tsp chili paste (leave this out if your not into hot)
What to do:
- Mix together your sauce ingredients and set a side
- In a large food storage bag add your cornstarch, red pepper flakes and chicken – Shake well
- crack 2 eggs and whisk together in a bowl and your flour in a second bowl
- in a deep pan on high add your oil
- once your chicken is coated in cornstarch drop into your beaten egg bowl – then into the flour bowl – tossing around for an even coat
- Drop your chicken into the hot oil (be careful)
- Keep dropping your chicken into the pan until all chicken is coated
- Begin turning your chicken – you will want it to cook evenly on each side (about 4-5 minutes)
- remove chicken from pan – drain all the oil but a tbsp – turn down to medium high heat
- add your red peppers and let cook down for about 2-3 minutes – add pineapple and let go for another 2 minutes.
- add your sauce – bring to a boil – it will thicken – stir about 30 seconds to a minute
- add back chicken and turn the pan down to medium low heat
- mix the chicken and sauce well for another 2-3 minutes and then remove from heat
- garnish with sesame seeds and red pepper flakes
This was delicious. it was really light considering it was fried a bit.
I did NOT make spring rolls… those I did buy. My Spring Roll game is still a little too fresh for me to confidently tell you how to make them … so I bought some to just round out dinner!
One Comment Add yours
Reblogged this on mamabatesmotel.