I have never cooked lobster before in my whole life… this was one of those I have to try moments.. and if I don’t sound like i’m tooting my own horn – I think it turned out really Well!!!
Because I have never cooked Lobster I needed to learn how long to cook it and how to get all the meat out of the shell! So I watched Gordon Ramsey demonstrate a Lobster on Master Chef (I YouTube’d it) – see below… it helped! I managed to follow his instructions seamlessly and I even kept most of the meat in tact!
Gordon Ramsey demonstrates Lobster
Honestly – its not as hard as one would think… and Gordon even shows you some of the hidden places where to find more meat!! I made this dinner for less then 50 bucks and it would easily feed 4-6 depending on portion sizes.
Anyways – I am really proud of this one.. please try this one!
What you need:
- 2 whole Lobsters
- 1 package Fresh Fettuccine noodles
- 3 cups Milk
- 2 tbs + 1 tbs Butter
- 2 tbs Flour
- 3-4 Garlic gloves(Grated)
- Nutmeg Grated (pinch)
- Lemon Zest Grated (1 tsp)
- Parsley to Taste
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese (Grated)
- 1 cup Mozzarella Cheese (Grated)
- Black Pepper
What to Do:
- Cook Lobsters in Boiled salted water – about 10-12 minutes (1 pound lobsters) the bigger the lobster the longer to cook…. I would ask the Counter attendant when you pick them up for the weight of your lobster. I used 1 pound Lobsters, if you get 3 pound Lobsters – they need to cook for 25-30 minutes. Do not over crowd your pot either… give them room to fully cook.
*Watch Gordon Ramsey demonstrate how to humanely cook the lobster in the water.
- Once it is cooked, pull them out of the water and let them rest a few minutes before you attempt to break into them.
- Follow the Linked Video i sent you to get your meat out of that Lobster… Seriously Gordon makes it so easy and less messy!
*NOT gonna lie… this was not the most FUN process… and its kind of gross… but its worth it in the end!!!
- Once you Lobster is cooked, Start your pot full of water for your fettuccine and salt this baby liberally – Mario Batali says your pasta water should taste like Sea water… the Salt just helps that pasta bring out its flavour!
- Once your rue is bubbling and mixed well add in 2-3 garlic cloves grated and Milk stirring to incorporate your rue evenly.
- Add in your nutmeg (Freshly grated is the best) and lemon zest (only the yellow of the lemon – the White is bitter you don;t want that)
- Stir for another couple of minutes to thicken then add in your Cheese – I did it in 3 1/2 cup stages just to evenly mix and make sure it wouldn’t become too think! (If it does, add a bit more milk or leave out the remaining cheese)
- While your sauce is thickening in a fry pan drop in 1 tbs of butter and the last clove of garlic let that melt on low heat
- Your pasta water should be boiling now – add your pasta (follow directions on package – 4-6 minutes usually)
- pull your lobster into chucks or cut it up and add it to the garlic butter. You do not want to Over cook the Lobster – you just want to heat it up and give it a little extra flavour – literally a couple of minutes on low heat
- Stir in the lobster and your parsley (I left out about 4 tbs lobster for garnishing)
- When your pasta is ready – before you drain it – take a mug and scoop up a mug of pasta water – leave to the side – drain your pasta
- Add your pasta right into your sauce pan – then take that mug of starchy pasta water and add in about half the mug. What this will do is help your sauce stick to your pasta. I saw half the mug – because its easier to add in more if you need then to try and take away. Add more mug water if you need to!
- Mix well, plate – top with remaining lobster, more parsley and a little cheese for garnish
There you have it…. Lobster Fettuccine right at home! Pair this will a nice Garlic toasted baguette and a large glass of White Wine and you have a serious winner for Dinner!!