When it comes to the summer – BBQ’s are the best ways to together with friends. I love being able to just sit around and share in some laughs as we eat good food and enjoy the sun! This past weekend I attended a friends BBQ and I brought this dish as it is my GO TO BBQ dish!
Pasta Salad is one of those staple dishes that everyone has a recipe for. This is my twist on a Pinterest find I have been making for a few years now! The original recipe called for penne noodles but I thought why not try Tortellini and add Parmesan!
Here is what you need:
- 2 Packages Fresh Tortellini – I bough 3 cheese
- 2 containers mini bocconcini
- Fresh basil – cut into strips as much or as little as you like
- 2 cups halved Cherry Tomatoes
- Salt & Pepper
- 1/3 cup EVOO
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 fat garlic cloves minced or grated
- Fresh Parmesan
Heres what you do:
- Cut up your Tomatoes and basil and drain your bocconcini and add to a large bowl
- In a pan on medium high heat – add your oil and garlic – let simmer for about 1 minute and remove from heat (you don’t want to burn the garlic just release its fragrance)
- While the oil is off heat stir in your red wine vinegar right to the oil and garlic – let sit and cool
- Bring a well salted pot of water to Boil and drop in your tortellini (Tortellini should only take a few minutes to cook – read the package for instructions – but 3-4 minutes should be enough) TIP: Tortellini will float when its cooked
- Drain your Tortellini and run it under cold water so you stop the cooking process and to make sure it doesn’t stick together. This will also give you a more sharp bite!
- Add your cold Tortellini to your Large bowl with the Tomatoes, Basil and Bocconcini
- Add Pepper and Salt (more pepper then salt – or no extra salt at all… your salted your pasta water so you will be okay for salt)
- Drizzle in your garlic oil mixture that should be now cooled – lightly toss together
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top as a finishing touch
- Swap out the pasta for penne or fusilli or whatever you want.
- Flavoured oils would be a nice addition to this dish. Black Truffle Oil would provide a very rich decadent flavour. But only use a tbsp of the flavoured stuff and still use the EVOO, you don;t want to over do it! a small amount goes a long way!
- I saw Prosciutto stuffed Tortellini (Presidents choice brand @ Superstore) that would be awesome in this dish as well!
serves 8-10 people but makes excellent left over lunch the next day!!!